Week 3
After visiting the time management and study strategy websites, I selected time management as one that needs improvement from last journal entry. I was able to see different tips on how to manage my time more effectively and also identify my time wasters. One method that stood out to me was the ABC list since I feel that I can really benefit from this to able to set my priorities each week. As well as giving me a different perspective on what is due since just seeing a bunch of assignments can be overwhelming at first but setting them separate can make them seem doable.
What I have learned in this week's readings and activities especially the material on ethics is that it is breaking into frameworks in which they operate. What one framework may sound ethically sound may not be ethically sound in another. There is not one that fits all frameworks together. For example, the essay topic I have selected for the next upcoming essay in CST 300 is the use of AI in hiring and recruitment decisions. Since there are companies in today's world where they may screen resumes to rank applicants based on their preference instead of their qualifications. The AI ethics video from the lectures went deeper, showing how technology challenges what it means to be human now. The discussion of AI revealed how algorithms may predict the "perfect" partner for one but totally miss the human experiences, emotions, and mistakes that one has/makes that make love meaningful in a personal sense when using AI.
What every computer science major should know article was really eye opening as it made me see how important it is to build a portfolio. As employers want to see what you have done and the skills you bring to the company if hired. Having strong communication skills is something that is often overlooked in the computer science field since it is often thought that coding itself is the only form of communication that is needed but that's not case at all since one is expected to be able to communicate effectively like being able to explain your code to others for example. I now want to start a GitHub profile and upload my projects with clear documentation so that I have a strong portfolio to show to future employers.
Integrity is important to me and the other students in the program because honesty is important for both learning and fairness. Submitting code that isn't your own or sharing solutions amongst each other are about keeping the programs reputation and not undermining the value of its degrees as well. I think integrity should mean one feeling confident about submitting their own work and be proud of it. As well practicing integrity now will show employers that one can be trusted if not, they later won't trust one when handling real world data or systems.
Comments
Post a Comment